Monday, October 4, 2010

Lumps and Bumps: Is it all in my head?

My facbook status today reads:  October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month:  Save mans real best friend and perform a monthly self breast exam!

And that's because last night I did.  I have been pretty vigilant at SBE's for a long time now.  I noticed a change, or a lump if you will, two years ago, reported it to my doctor, had an ultrasound, the technician treated me like I was too young to be concerned, and all in all the results came back negative.  This experience compared to my first mammogram has shown me how important your medical provider is.  You must be your own advocate - or change doctors until you find one that fits with your priorities and needs.  The ultrasound tech two years ago commented on my "breast density" and when I inquired further with her, she told me it really wasn't a big deal.  This was a year following the release of a study in the New England Journal of Medicine that confirms high tissue density does lead to higher rates of breast cancer!  Needless to say, I won't be returning to that hospital for my breast care - ever.

So last night again, I noticed a change in my tissue.  I can't tell if it's a lump, or a bump or what.  I can feel a definite indent that is not present elsewhere on either breast.  I will be emailing my Nurse Practitioner to see how she feels I should follow up.  I am still awaiting my BRCA test results, and will schedule a MRI after those are received.  But I can't help but wonder, did I notice this change last month and not take it as seriously?  Am I creating this in my mind because this is all I currently think about?  At what point am I no longer re-acting to the changes in my life and being truly proactive?  Am I seeing things that aren't there because I'm more sensitive?  I don't know.  We'll see what Heather says.

1 comment: